Frequently Asked Questions

Here are a list of the most common questions we have come across. We hope this helps if you still have any questions that we might have missed feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Where can I hear your songs?

First click on the tab on the top of this screen that says “Catalog”. You will be redirected to our online music catalog, once there you will have access to various resources and tools that will help you find the perfect song.

We created a platform with you in mind because we believe that licensing music should be simple and accessible. You don’t have to sign up but if you do you will have access to many more features like create projects, playlists, add notes and share.

Do I need to obtain a license?

Yes, If you have plans on using a sound recording in a movie, commercial or any other public forum you will need to obtain a license.

What licenses and clearances do I need to use your music?

We offer many different types of license our most common is a Synchronization/Master Use License but also offer streaming licenses, performance licenses, master licenses and custom licenses.

Can I license a song if I am outside of the United States?

Yes we have obtained worldwide licensing rights, but every once in a while there may be territorial issues.

*The only existing issue (as of 10/29/12) is the inability for those in German territories to post videos using music on YouTube due to a currently unresolved disagreement between GEMA and YouTube.

How long is my license good for?

Most of our licenses are granted for a perpetual term. This means that the license never expires or loses legitimacy specific to the original project for which the license was granted. Should you desire to use a song licensed to you for another project, a separate license will be required. For custom licenses, the term will be up for negotiation between the client, the artist, and PalmPheon.

When I license a song, Do I get both the lyrical and instrumental versions?

No we treat lyrical and instrumental tracks as separate songs requiring separate licenses.

How much does it cost to license a song?

Rates vary depending on the use of the song but we are are here to work with you no matter you budget. Please reach out to us for rates.

What are the different types of music licenses?

A glossary of common terms that are very handy to know so you can get the correct license for your project.

Synchronization License

If you want to use a sound recording in a visual work, you need a synchronization license (music is “synced” to the video). It is one of the most used licenses in the market. Synchronization licenses are usually used in television shows, movies, commercials and other videos. Fees may vary according to: (a) How the song is used, e.g. background music, theme song (b) Where it will be played e.g. TV network, local channel (c) How many people will hear it: e.g. at regular sporting event, Super Bowl (d) Type of media using the song e.g. independent film, Hollywood movie (e) Song writer name and experience.

Streaming License

If you have already created your visual work and you want to add music to it and then stream your new creation on your website, you will need a streaming license.

Custom License

If you need an original and authentic song created specifically for your project you will need a custom license.

Performance License

If you need a song that will be used for live performances, clubs, business establishments, multimedia presentations, music used in a meeting, conventions or simply played through a CD for the benefits of the people listening to it, you will need a Performance License.

Performance Licenses are not just for concerts – for example, business establishments that wish to play background music in in their stores usually obtain performance licenses for the right to do so.

Master Recording License

This type of license gives the license holder the right to use a recording that someone else made. The master license is obtained from the rights holder (usually record label or artist) for each song that wants to be used for the project. The difference between a master license and a sync license is that the sync permits the license holder to re-record the song for a specific project, for example a video cover a famous song, while the master permits using a pre-existing record, therefore the voice of the original singer. One example of Master Recording License is the use of compositions in an original compilation CD such as “20 best rock songs of 2012.

Print License

This license is obtained to copy or reprint lyrics of sheet music for a song that someone else wrote for personal use or reproduction. The Print License is required for every song copied or used by a third party. This type of license can be necessary to create a music book or a song sheet. Prices of Print Licenses are negotiated on a case-by-case basis.

Mechanical Rights License

This license is obtained to record and distribute (without visual images) a song for private use. Mechanical rights or a mechanical license must be obtained in order to lawfully make and distribute records, CD’s and tapes.

If you have any other questions that we might have missed please fill out the contact form below and we will get back to you ASAP.

Back to Top